It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello everybody! If someone bought this game, please tell us, whether the computer AI is normal and computer really tries to win :) I ask this question, because I encountered a crippled version (believe it was from Zuxxez) of this game, and it was deliberately changed into something very dumb, like a body without spirit. ("to make the game easier").
Thanks a lot for the info, I intend to buy it...
This question / problem has been solved by klaymenimage
Elwin: It's silent, I suppose :)?

Nothing.
'nuff said
So, does the GOG version of 2140 have crippled AI? And does 2150 have crippled AI too? It wasnt clear to me the solution.
I really feel like buying this game but I want the AI to be fixed first... Could someone contact support about this again? The game hasn't been fixed yet, has it?
BeefEater: I really feel like buying this game but I want the AI to be fixed first...

Same here,
Seems strange that the AI in this release is "flawed". Specially since GOG doesnt have the source code of the games they sell, right? Why would the copy they received from the developer/publisher/whatever have crippled AI?
IIRC, they don't have access to the source code, as you said.
drmlessgames: Seems strange that the AI in this release is "flawed". Specially since GOG doesnt have the source code of the games they sell, right? Why would the copy they received from the developer/publisher/whatever have crippled AI?

Because GOG release is probably based upon the latest "Windows XP updated" version by Zuxxez, which had crippled AI. Clarification from GOG team needed.
Maybe they should just revert to using original DOS version with Dosbox?..
Post edited April 20, 2009 by Elwin
They have finally responded, but I have bad news: they have confirmed that the AI in this version is really crippled, but it is the only version they have the rights for.
They will try to solve it somehow, so we can pray for their success. If you want, I can post their whole response here tomorrow (not possible to do it here on my mobile phone).
klaymen: They have finally responded, but I have bad news: they have confirmed that the AI in this version is really crippled, but it is the only version they have the rights for.
They will try to solve it somehow, so we can pray for their success. If you want, I can post their whole response here tomorrow (not possible to do it here on my mobile phone).

Thanks for clearing this thung up...
Yes, a complete message would certainly make an interesting read.
Here you are:
Hello,
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It looks like the version
we got from TopWare does indeed have a weaker AI compared to the old
ones. Unfortunately, since this is the version we received from the
publisher, we aren't free to just pick a different one. :( We will try
to resolve this matter, however, but I can't say how long it could
take and if we will be successful...
Regards,
Peter
GOG.com Support
klaymen: Here you are:
Hello,
I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It looks like the version
we got from TopWare does indeed have a weaker AI compared to the old
ones. Unfortunately, since this is the version we received from the
publisher, we aren't free to just pick a different one. :( We will try
to resolve this matter, however, but I can't say how long it could
take and if we will be successful...

That doesn't sound so hopeless. Let us pray the good guys triumph in the end.
Two thumbs up to GOG for paying attention!
Post edited April 25, 2009 by Elwin
Nice!
Well, this really is not a GOG problem. The version Topware (or Zuxxez or how the hell they name) released about three years ago with XP support had the same problem with AI. I think the only solution to fix this (and without problems for both sides) is to share the rights for Win 98/DOS version of Earth 2140, which was running fine. The only problem that will rest then upon GOG's guys shoulders will be to make the game running on modern PCs, which shouldn't be hard, compared to other games here, which were DOS only.
Hmmm... In my game, at least, the enemy DOES launch attacks occasionally. I have the game set on Easy mode, so the attacks aren't hard to beat off, but it never occurred to me that the AI might be crippled. Defensive to a fault, maybe, but not crippled. And I assume that all the hostile BANTHA trucks running around are doing so for a reason.
Please, anyone can say how much bad AI is there? Many thanks