It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As the title says, I have recently purchased a new, GeForce RTX 3080-based gaming PC (I know, I know...), and I'm enjoying Control at the best quality the game has to offer.

And yet there's something that bugs me, regarding the combined use of Ray Tracing (RT) effects and DLSS. When I first tried to set DLSS with RT, the FPS counter didn't change in the slightest. My firewall applet had blocked a weird NVIDIA file from reaching the Internet ("nvngx_update.exe"), but I didn't think very much of it.

Afterward I created a new "allow" firewall rule for the NVIDIA file, and to my surprise DLSS started to take effect improving the frame rate within a 10-20 frame range on average. I was using the most recent Game Ready drivers available (457.30), so I was expecting that the driver package contained everything needed to run a 2019 game like Control with everything set to "on" and at the best graphics quality.

But no, it seems that even if you purchase a DRM-free game (and download it for off-line installation), you cannot escape this damn Internet reliance for everything.

Has anyone experienced the same thing with the "nvngx_update.exe" file as I did? NVIDIA itself confirmed that the exe can be used to "manually update DLSS", so I'm not mistaking anything here...
Attachments:
01.jpg (327 Kb)
02.jpg (371 Kb)
03.jpg (394 Kb)
04.jpg (256 Kb)
Post edited December 27, 2020 by KingofGnG
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
KingofGnG:
Ok firstly, congrats on actually getting a (working?) ampere gpu :)

Secondly, the drivers released during ampere release aren't too good:-

A) I have a non ampere gpu and have had to rollback due to BSODs.
B) people playing cyberpunk have had low fps because the gpu wont reach 100 percent load or anywhere near that. This could be a cyberpunk issue but it could equally be a driver issue. Maybe test the driver again after a few months?

I have a nvidia shield Pro 2019 which has ai upscale which is the shield's version of dlss. I've also wanted to test if this works offline but the fact that it has limited online support anyway means I haven't tested it just yet.

Ray tracing doesn't rely on sample Information unlike dlss. So there's no reason for internet here. This is likely to be a bug
timmy010: (...)
Yes, the GPU does work without issues, and I got it with the whole, pre-custom package so it was easier to score. Nay: it was the only way to get some next-gen hardware in these crazy months.

The drivers were/are up to date, the GeForce RTX 3080 is a Palit model so it wouldn't have had issues even with that weird chit chat about "faulty" capacitors and over-the-top frequencies of the past months.

Just to clarify: there are no "issues" here, just this strange behaviour that I happened to witness while trying to use DLSS with the firewall in alert mode. It's the first time a graphics driver tries to "phone home" to update itself behind my back.
KingofGnG: Yes, the GPU does work without issues, and I got it with the whole, pre-custom package so it was easier to score. Nay: it was the only way to get some next-gen hardware in these crazy months.

The drivers were/are up to date, the GeForce RTX 3080 is a Palit model so it wouldn't have had issues even with that weird chit chat about "faulty" capacitors and over-the-top frequencies of the past months.

Just to clarify: there are no "issues" here, just this strange behaviour that I happened to witness while trying to use DLSS with the firewall in alert mode. It's the first time a graphics driver tries to "phone home" to update itself behind my back.
I've heard there are serious issues with the latest Nvidia drivers. If you're having issues, try rolling them back to the previous drivers and see if the issues persist.
To answer your question, Nvidia requires an internet connection for its full suite to work. It has telemetry built into its drivers, and has since about late 2016 or mid 2017.

You should be able to activate toggles on your gpu settings without Nvidia's drivers phoning home every time, but if not, you might have to reinstall your drivers and opt out of any user experience you might have opted into, to get it to stop trying to connect to the internet.

This sounds like an unintentional feature. You might also want to /bugreport to Nvidia on this.
finkleroy: I've heard there are serious issues with the latest Nvidia drivers. If you're having issues, try rolling them back to the previous drivers and see if the issues persist.
No.
KingofGnG: NVIDIA itself confirmed that the exe can be used to "manually update DLSS", so I'm not mistaking anything here...
Paliper: To answer your question, Nvidia requires an internet connection for its full suite to work. It has telemetry built into its drivers, and has since about late 2016 or mid 2017.

You should be able to activate toggles on your gpu settings without Nvidia's drivers phoning home every time, but if not, you might have to reinstall your drivers and opt out of any user experience you might have opted into, to get it to stop trying to connect to the internet.

This sounds like an unintentional feature. You might also want to /bugreport to Nvidia on this.
I can block NVIDIA's Telemetry going on the Internet without issues, and it has nothing to do with the question I'm talking about.
Post edited December 30, 2020 by KingofGnG
Paliper: To answer your question, Nvidia requires an internet connection for its full suite to work. It has telemetry built into its drivers, and has since about late 2016 or mid 2017.

KingofGnG: I can block NVIDIA's Telemetry going on the Internet without issues, and it has nothing to do with the question I'm talking about.
NVM I re-read your original thread. I had issues with Nvidia phoning home on my GTX 1060, but I didn't care enough about it and no, it wasn't DLSS.

I'll see myself out.
Post edited December 30, 2020 by Paliper