It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just bought Toca 3 from GOG and i am loving it. It is very very good, it certainly dosent feel realistic but its fun. I remember playing a Colin McRae game on Xbox and i thought it was terrible. Can anyone tell me how this game handles and if its close to another racing game?
racingfreak92: I just bought Toca 3 from GOG and i am loving it. It is very very good, it certainly dosent feel realistic but its fun. I remember playing a Colin McRae game on Xbox and i thought it was terrible. Can anyone tell me how this game handles and if its close to another racing game?

Though I haven't played Toca yet, I find CMR to handle fairly well. Keep in mind that I use the X-Box 360 controller. For me at the start I thought the control was kind of loose but I soon realized that I had to configure the different cars for the different terrain. Make sense right? Now I feel that the games handling is quite tight with exception of the cars that just have poor handling for my driving style.
Whodares2 hit the nail on the head. The game handles well, as long as you set up your car properly. It's very realistic (one of the reasons it's arguably one of the best rally games out there) and requires the utmost focus and attention. As long as you can learn how to steer into and out of turns well, brake and gas when necessary, and watch the minimap/listen to your co-driver, you'll be fine.
It's a very demanding game, and that's what I love about it. Coming across the finish line with my heart racing, that's the way rally games should be.
I really get into games sometimes...
ArafaxDeep04: Whodares2 hit the nail on the head. The game handles well, as long as you set up your car properly. It's very realistic (one of the reasons it's arguably one of the best rally games out there) and requires the utmost focus and attention. As long as you can learn how to steer into and out of turns well, brake and gas when necessary, and watch the minimap/listen to your co-driver, you'll be fine.
It's a very demanding game, and that's what I love about it. Coming across the finish line with my heart racing, that's the way rally games should be.
I really get into games sometimes...

Thanks for the support : )
I love getting into games too. In fact I'm disappointed when I can't. CMR is one of those that is easy to get into. Anytime that you have to work in order to earn the satisfaction of a level or race well played, is great. I'm not a fan of games that just give away next level.
Anyway I'm ranting now.
CMR GAME GOOD!
It's close to arcade than real simulation. So if you expect simulation, this isn't the game for you. RBR is in every level ahead, if you take the simulation as a measure to compare them.
It's not a bad game, but it surely does have some issues. Mainly the hideous menu system :)
The game controls well once you tweak the cars properly and can work well with a keyboard.
It's a very realistic feel, though you can adjust it slightly.
Personally, I much prefer Xpand Rally, but CMR2005 is a good second place. I am pretty mad that GOG put it on "sale" knowing that it was being removed though.
bit of a thread resurrection but I've just re-downloaded this after reading up on the real life WRC and am just as useless as it as I was when I bought it... I've tried a handful of the cars and each one feels light and over responsive, on a keyboard.

Any quick tips to get the car handling a little less twitchy, say on a gravel surface race to start off with?

I hold my fingers up as probably just crap at it though.
frowning: bit of a thread resurrection but I've just re-downloaded this after reading up on the real life WRC and am just as useless as it as I was when I bought it... I've tried a handful of the cars and each one feels light and over responsive, on a keyboard.

Any quick tips to get the car handling a little less twitchy, say on a gravel surface race to start off with?

A keyboard is going to give you a digital input and so isn't great for this type of game. Have you got a gamepad or steering wheel? Analogue controls will greatly help you out with vehicle control.
Yes I imagine it'd be a bit on-off-y with the steering, I just saw a post above say they were using a keyboard so I thought I'd give it a shot. No joypad/wheel.
frowning: bit of a thread resurrection but I've just re-downloaded this after reading up on the real life WRC and am just as useless as it as I was when I bought it... I've tried a handful of the cars and each one feels light and over responsive, on a keyboard.

It's definitely more challenging than most games. I don't know your skill level in driving games, but my guess why you find it twitchy and oversensitive is that you're going too fast. Try driving the course slower until you get the feel of the track and then speed it up. First time I drove it I was HORRIBLE at it, I redid the same track a dozen times and I surprised myself how much faster I got. You'll likely have to be more subtle on the controls than with other games.

I also find it faster to cancel and restart if I have a couple of bad corners, especially early on.
Incidentally how does this work with the Xbox controller... I was thinking of getting one but ;ast time I had one it was faffing about with X padder and I'm not sure I can be bothered with that.

Thanks for the driving tips though, chaps! I try going slowly but I must just over rev, then I'm off in a tree.
frowning: Incidentally how does this work with the Xbox controller... I was thinking of getting one but ;ast time I had one it was faffing about with X padder and I'm not sure I can be bothered with that.

Thanks for the driving tips though, chaps! I try going slowly but I must just over rev, then I'm off in a tree.
I use a wired Xbox 360 pad myself. It controls well, really, but bear in mind that the game uses DirectInput and not XInput (360 controller is an XInput driver device), so what this means is that both of the triggers control one axis, so holding both down will just give no acceleration and no brake as opposed to full acceleration and full brake (wheel spinning and other sliding tricks), but you can get by without the powersliding tricks anyway.