It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What it says on the tin. I try to launch CMR5, it insta-crashes.

I tried every possible combination of compatibility settings, disabling Crossfire, updating/reinstalling drivers with or without Catalyst, and no dice.

SETUP
Windows 7 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe, 4GB RAM DDR2
GFX: HIS Radeon 4850 HD x2 in Crossfire

Any clues?
Shurikane: What it says on the tin. I try to launch CMR5, it insta-crashes.

I tried every possible combination of compatibility settings, disabling Crossfire, updating/reinstalling drivers with or without Catalyst, and no dice.

SETUP
Windows 7 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe, 4GB RAM DDR2
GFX: HIS Radeon 4850 HD x2 in Crossfire

Any clues?
I'd recommend sending a support ticket to GOG, though as this game was removed from the catalogue a long time ago now, and at the time of its removal there was no Windows 7 support for the GOG games, you might find that there is no Win7 support for this game.

GOG will probably want a DXDiag report and maybe a crash log if you can get one (I can't remember how you do that in Windows Vista and 7 but a Google search should show you how).

Other than that, I can only suggest installing the game outside of Program Files (e.g. use C:\Games\ or some other folder of your own creation), or disable UAC and DEP and try again.
Well, I think I stumped the tech support. After a few exchanges through E-Mail, it fizzled out.

I was really hoping this wouldn't go the same way as my OKcupid endeavors.
Shurikane: Well, I think I stumped the tech support. After a few exchanges through E-Mail, it fizzled out.

Have you tried disabling crossfire so that you are only using one graphics card? It's an old game so might not like a crossfire setup.

Also, do you have multiple monitors? If so, disable one and try the game again, for the same reason as above.
Shurikane: Well, I think I stumped the tech support. After a few exchanges through E-Mail, it fizzled out.

korell: Have you tried disabling crossfire so that you are only using one graphics card? It's an old game so might not like a crossfire setup.

Also, do you have multiple monitors? If so, disable one and try the game again, for the same reason as above.
Single monitor. I did already attempt with Crossfire disabled, but still got the crash.
korell: Have you tried disabling crossfire so that you are only using one graphics card? It's an old game so might not like a crossfire setup.

Shurikane: Single monitor. I did already attempt with Crossfire disabled, but still got the crash.
Where have you installed the game to? Are you running as administrator? Did you run the installer as administrator? (I mean using the run as admin option, not running it with an admin account).
Shurikane: Single monitor. I did already attempt with Crossfire disabled, but still got the crash.
korell: Where have you installed the game to? Are you running as administrator? Did you run the installer as administrator? (I mean using the run as admin option, not running it with an admin account).
It's been a long time since I installed the game. I think most of the time I install something from GOG, I must do it under administrator mode anyway.

The game is installed on a separate hard disk. It's not an OS or a system partition - actually it's a 1 TB drive with almost nothing but games on it.

I have already tried to run the game as admin, and attempted most all compatibility options.
UPDATE.

SUCCESS!

I built a new machine recently and tested again only to get the same results. Since I had some free time on my hands, I decided to install another copy of the game in another folder and started over the troubleshooting from scratch.

I went through every combination of settings one by one, whether they made sense or not. In the end, I concluded that the solution was as follows: run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

Fiddling around some more locked the solution down to this, and only this. No further action necessary and everything works as intended. I did a quick test race and it performed flawlessly. Forgot to test out FRAPS though.

So I guess I went at it too quick on the first go. :(
Glad you got it sorted out. The only reason I didn't suggest trying compatibility modes is that you already said in your initial post that you'd done this, having tried every possible combination of compatibility settings. :) That tends to be one of the first things to try with older games.
Either I skipped that particular one or it did not work on the older setup somehow and it works on the new one.

Speaking of which, show-off time with the new goodies:

CASE: CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced
MOBO: ASUS P8H67-M EVO
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 Sandy Bridge
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
GFX: Gigabyte HD 6950 1GB GDDR5