It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like:Chrome,Firefox,Internet Explorer orOpera

×
thank you aslakkar - i was going nuts trying to get this to run!
sadly this fix did not work for me - any other suggestions
avatar
aslakkar: Same problem here with Windows 7 64

Managed to fix this problem.

1. Go to http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx
2. Download "oalinst", it is the third item on the list with title OpenAL Installer for Windows
3. Extract the zip
4. Run oalinst.exe
5. Run the game
Thanks alaskkar! Worked like a charm :)
I had the same problem, and the fix worked, but why did it need fixing in the first place? Why is this file needed?
Thank you, it worked for me, too. :)
thanks mate, but the program you tell us to download already comes with the installation. It is located in the installation folder. Unlucky for me, I only found out about this after I read your post. So thanks!
the link does not work any more im banging my head against the wall here
avatar
zakstar: the link does not work any more im banging my head against the wall here
Try this link:

http://files.gog.com/support/oalinst.zip :)
Had this issue with a Steam install of Broken Sword 2, the link posted by JudasIscariot solved it in about 12 seconds.

Thank you very much GOG, for always being wonderful.
avatar
Blooker: Had this issue with a Steam install of Broken Sword 2, the link posted by JudasIscariot solved it in about 12 seconds.

Thank you very much GOG, for always being wonderful.
Not sure what happened to my previous post (Maybe it's just in moderation and will appear on the page later).
If you're still having trouble after running the installer, I figured out the final step thanks to this thread:
http://www.gamersgate.com/gametutor?issue=252698

You may have to copy the openal32.dll file from C:\Windows\System32 into the base directory of where Broken Sword is located (in my case that was C:\GOG Games\Broken Sword DC). After you do this, may also see a weird error that says something about being unable to launch the program directly and it may post a memory location (will start with 0x and look something like 0x000009cc). If that's the case, it appears that the version of the dll on your system is stale (that's my best guess).

The oalinstall.exe does not appear to overwrite what is currently in your windows folder, so I had to delete both copies of the dll (the one in windows\system32 as well as the in the location of the game). Then I re-ran the oalinstall.exe and re-copied the dll back into the game directory. It now started up for me.
Post edited September 07, 2015 by Clovermite