It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TessitoreDiSogni: (…)
Hey, we actually managed to replicate your issue reliably, this means that we should soon be able to apply a fix.
No surprise, it is going to be based on your suggestions ;)
Hi there,

I'm trying to install the game on Ubuntu 18.04 and I'm having the same problems reported by @TessitoreDiSogni. Since you said that you were able to reproduce the issue reliably and a fix should come soon, can I have some info on that ?

I also tried the solutions proposed earlier in the thread to no avail.

Thanks !

Edit : Just to make sure, I'm trying to install BGEE and got the files required into a single folder.
Post edited June 10, 2020 by Artctodus
Artctodus: (…)
Thanks for the reminder, I wrote a fix available here: Game fix: Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - Fix variable leaks

Here is a direct download link to the updated script: play-baldurs-gate-1-enhanced-edition.sh

If I get positive feedback, I will include it quickly in the version provided through our website.
Post edited June 10, 2020 by vv221
I just tested it and it works flawlessly. Thanks a lot !
Artctodus: (…)
Nice, it means this fix will be part of the next update batch ;)
(and I have one planned in the next days)
Update

Baldurʼs Gate - Enhanced Edition

Update libssl inclusion snippet, this should fix a variable leak with Bash.

Fix a variable leak when handling the icons pack.
vv221: Update

Baldurʼs Gate - Enhanced Edition

Update libssl inclusion snippet, this should fix a variable leak with Bash.

Fix a variable leak when handling the icons pack.
Hi, I've just installed Linux for the first time (Mint) and I'm trying to install BG2. I'm following the steps but get "libplayit2.sh not found" despite it being on the same folder

EDIT: I re read all the instructions and posts and managed to get through that and got the installation done! I'm running into a new problem now, though, and it's that the game is running at like 5 fps, any way to optimize it? I'm running it on an old netbook with Intel Atom N2600 and got this same kind of behaviour with other games as well, and managed to get better fps by changing some setting to go from GPU acceleration to Software Acceleration (don't exactly remember the setting name, but it was something like that).
Is there something like this I could change for BG2 on Linux as well?
Post edited July 28, 2020 by FacundoTupac
FacundoTupac: I'm running into a new problem now, though, and it's that the game is running at like 5 fps, any way to optimize it? I'm running it on an old netbook with Intel Atom N2600 and got this same kind of behaviour with other games as well, and managed to get better fps by changing some setting to go from GPU acceleration to Software Acceleration (don't exactly remember the setting name, but it was something like that).
Is it the classic BG2, running through WINE, or the Enhanced Edition with its native engine?

If it is the one running through WINE, you could try disabling the CSMT feature by running the following command:
WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2 winetricks csmt=off
Another thing you should make sure of is that the 32-bit version of the library libGL.so.1 is available:
sudo apt install libgl1:i386
---

I plan to make that defaults for a future update to Baldur’s Gate Ⅱ support, you should be able to follow any progress here: Baldur's Gate II - Rendering issues

---

The update is ready for testing: Game update: Baldur's Gate Ⅱ - Fix rendering issues
Post edited August 01, 2020 by vv221
FacundoTupac: I'm running into a new problem now, though, and it's that the game is running at like 5 fps, any way to optimize it? I'm running it on an old netbook with Intel Atom N2600 and got this same kind of behaviour with other games as well, and managed to get better fps by changing some setting to go from GPU acceleration to Software Acceleration (don't exactly remember the setting name, but it was something like that).
vv221: Is it the classic BG2, running through WINE, or the Enhanced Edition with its native engine?

If it is the one running through WINE, you could try disabling the CSMT feature by running the following command:

WINEPREFIX=~/.local/share/play.it/prefixes/baldurs-gate-2 winetricks csmt=off
vv221: Another thing you should make sure of is that the 32-bit version of the library libGL.so.1 is available:

sudo apt install libgl1:i386
vv221: ---

I plan to make that defaults for a future update to Baldur’s Gate Ⅱ support, you should be able to follow any progress here: Baldur's Gate II - Rendering issues

---

The update is ready for testing: Game update: Baldur's Gate Ⅱ - Fix rendering issues
Hi, thanks for answering. No, I'm using the Enhanced Edition, so I guess those recommendations wouldn't apply. Any way to get the same result for the EE?
FacundoTupac: I'm using the Enhanced Edition, so I guess those recommendations wouldn't apply. Any way to get the same result for the EE?
I have an old Intel-based laptop at hand here, I’m going to run some tests to see if I get performance issues with it and how to work around these.

---

I see that 3D acceleration can be disabled, maybe it can help in your case.

In the file ~/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua look for the line:
SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','1')
and replace it by:
SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','0')
Post edited August 04, 2020 by vv221
Following a request by Lukasz D., an update adding support for the Polish version of the classic Baldur’s Gate is ready for testing: Game update: Baldur's Gate - Add support for Polish version

This update includes a couple other improvements, see its history for more details.
FacundoTupac: I'm using the Enhanced Edition, so I guess those recommendations wouldn't apply. Any way to get the same result for the EE?
vv221: I have an old Intel-based laptop at hand here, I’m going to run some tests to see if I get performance issues with it and how to work around these.

---

I see that 3D acceleration can be disabled, maybe it can help in your case.

In the file ~/.local/share/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua look for the line:

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','1')
vv221: and replace it by:

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','3D Acceleration','0')
vv221:
Tried that, no luck. Went back to the file and it had rewritten itself to "1", so I set it to "Read Only", checked the game again and still no improvements.

This is the current state:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18cAZQYuxgUWWslzdM7sF-SmGGBD5Au9w/view?usp=drivesdk

any other ideas of what can I do? I'm about to give up and uninstall :(
FacundoTupac: Tried that, no luck. Went back to the file and it had rewritten itself to "1", so I set it to "Read Only", checked the game again and still no improvements.
My bad, from what I’ve found out it seems this option can not be disabled. I wonder what it is doing in this configuration file then…
FacundoTupac: (…)
After some tests on a computer with no dedicated GPU, built on top of a Intel Core2 Duo, the only way I found to force CPU rendering is by running the game with the following environment variable:
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=true baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition
FacundoTupac: (…)
vv221: After some tests on a computer with no dedicated GPU, built on top of a Intel Core2 Duo, the only way I found to force CPU rendering is by running the game with the following environment variable:

LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=true baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition
vv221:
Where should I write that? Sorry, I'm a complete Linux noob, it's my first time on the OS.

I should turn the .Lua back to write & read also, right?