I just bought BG1 and BG2. I also read through this entire thread. I have windows 7 and am not sure if the instructions will work for me.
For Vista, Win7 or 8.
Right click on your setup_baldur'sxxxxxxxx.exe & run as administrator.
On the first screen tick the EULA & on the bottom left, click on options.
Change the "install games to" to c:\games\baldur's gate or e:\games\baldur's gate if you'd rather.
Anywhere but ProgramFiles(86).
Start each game & make sure they both run with all default settings before you mod or change anything.
1. I am unclear where I should actually save the mods for BG1 and BG2. Some people were posting that they should be put in the easytutu folder AND the BG2 folder. Am I just pointing the entire install into the main folder or am I dropping specific files? A detailed description of this would be great as it seems to have hung up a few people.
Once you have installed EasyTuTu you will have a clean install of BG1 (This can be uninstalled if you need the space, or left for future installations of TuTu, or playing the vanilla version for comparison)
You will have a TuTu install, from where you play & mod the BG1 part of Baldurs Gate.
You will have a clean install of BG2, from where you mod & play the BG2 parts of Baldur's Gate.
I make a seperate directory to download mods to ie: E:\Games\BGMods
When modding EasyTuTu all the mods will be BG2 mods, some written specifically for the BG1 part of the game (like BG1NPC's) & some not (like bg2fixpak or bg2tweaks)
.exe mods like bg2tweaks can be run from you mod directory & where it says "destination folder" you browse to you TuTu root directory & they will run the setup-xxxx.exe automatically.
With archived mods ie: .zip, .rar etc you extract them to your TuTu root directory.
Then you should end up with a setup-xxxx.exe & often a xxxx.tp2 in you TuTu root directory & all the other mod files in their own subfolders. sometimes the xxx.tp2 is in a subfolder
You then run the setup-xxxx.exe to install the mod.
2. When going from BG1 to BG2 there were a few people asking how do they export their characters and get the choice of the new kits for BG2. I'd like to know too.
If playing with TuTu you will have the new kits in BG1.
To export your Character from TuTu, while in the character screen of the game, click on export.
type in your name ie: Bob & then click done.
You will now have a Bob.BIO & a Bob.CHR in your TuTu Characters directory, copy them to your Characters directory in BG2, then in BG2 when you start a new game click on import / character file. & choose Bob.
Or you can just copy your final saved game from TuTu to your BG2 save directory & then choose import / saved game / Bob. (handy if you forget to export your character)
3. If i didn't download anything and played the vanilla would I be able to export and play as the game was intended for BG2?
Most certainly, just the same as above.
4. If I decided to play Vanilla BG would I be able to export my characters into the modded version?
Yes, no worries
5. At least one post indicated that the fonts should be downloaded last. Can anyone comment on the difference suggested in the first post vs the post 62?
I don't use a font mod, because I play at 1280 x 720 & it's not needed.
So I always install the widescreen mod last.
But if you read the readme of the font mod you choose, it will tell you if it has to be installed after the widescreen mod.
6. Can someone confirm if the Beregost issue has been resolved at this point? If so should the instructions in the first post be altered?
If you get this version of Easy TuTu http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu
Then the Beregost bug has been fixed.
It is the nature of mod guides that they are outdated as fast as they are written.