It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Squall88uk: My question is, is it really such a bad idea to use option 3 and if so what are the dangers? I mean i also installed TobEX prior to the BG2 Fixpack & from my understanding that also patches the BGMain.exe but is recommended by a lot of people.
The dangers are that it alters the main game executable, and was not written by the developers, nor did the writer/s have access to the original source code. Such a patch can have unforeseen consequences. If it was 100% safe there would be no warning. You could have issues with your game that happen because of this, and you'd have no way of knowing. It's a risk: take it with the warning, or don't.

As for ToBeX, that does not physically patch the executable. It uses dll injection techniques to modify a 'virtual' executable -- in memory.
Squall88uk: My question is, is it really such a bad idea to use option 3 and if so what are the dangers? I mean i also installed TobEX prior to the BG2 Fixpack & from my understanding that also patches the BGMain.exe but is recommended by a lot of people.
Hickory: The dangers are that it alters the main game executable, and was not written by the developers, nor did the writer/s have access to the original source code. Such a patch can have unforeseen consequences. If it was 100% safe there would be no warning. You could have issues with your game that happen because of this, and you'd have no way of knowing. It's a risk: take it with the warning, or don't.

As for ToBeX, that does not physically patch the executable. It uses dll injection techniques to modify a 'virtual' executable -- in memory.
Ok thanks for that. I'll just stick to the recommended course of action then. After all the time and effort i've gone to so far with installing the various mods that are recommended and a few others that i've picked out i'm not exactly feeling like taking any chances.

Thanks again for the help and for the swift response.
This had been a real headache for me. I followed this guide exactly as written and my games suddenly stopped loading (BG, BG2, and, for some reason, IWD and Planescape: Torment). I then followed this guide on my laptop and have had no problems with it at all.

I uninstalled BG and BG2 and completely removed all traces of the games from my computer, and the mods I installed. When I did a clean install the games worked again, including the other IE games. I then followed this guide and for whatever reason it worked using all of these mods.

Then i tried starting up BG2 today and I went back to the same problem I had initially. BG2 would load a black screen and then it would hang there indefinitely. Same for BG, IWD and P:T. Again, doing a fresh install after a complete uninstall seems to have fixed this, as I can no load the unmoded version of BG and BG2 without issue.

My games are installed in a folder called "GOG Games", on a completely separate hard drive. I have full admin privs and run everything as admin, have UAC turned off, anyway. I tried rolling my nVidia drivers back 2 years, as someone said the new drivers cause issues with IE games, and had no luck. I uninstalled all the mods listed here, one by one, and tested the games, and had no luck. It wasn't until I did a complete uninstall and reinstall that the problem was fixed.I'm really stumped on this and would like to sort this out, so I can at least use the widescreen mod. It doesn't make sense to me that other IE games won't work when they previously did if all I'm modding is BG2. It doesn't make sense to me that it works for 2 days and then suddenly doesn't work again.

Anyone at all have an idea of what I could possibly do about this?
Congrolios: It doesn't make sense to me that it works for 2 days and then suddenly doesn't work again.
Update your antivirus definitions and do a complete system scan overnight.
Congrolios: It doesn't make sense to me that it works for 2 days and then suddenly doesn't work again.
Hickory: Update your antivirus definitions and do a complete system scan overnight.
I'm not currently running an anti virus although last time I ran a scan (2 weeks ago) my system was completely clean. I take a lot of precautions in my security and haven't had any serious issues ever.
Hickory: Update your antivirus definitions and do a complete system scan overnight.
Congrolios: I'm not currently running an anti virus although last time I ran a scan (2 weeks ago) my system was completely clean. I take a lot of precautions in my security and haven't had any serious issues ever.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I find it very odd that you say you take a lot of precautions in your security, and you you don't even have an antivirus? You are dismissing this, but I think you should reconsider and install a permanently active antivirus, and completely scan your system... now. It doesn't matter that you scanned your system 2 weeks ago: it only takes a nanosecond to become infected.
Congrolios: I'm not currently running an anti virus although last time I ran a scan (2 weeks ago) my system was completely clean. I take a lot of precautions in my security and haven't had any serious issues ever.
Hickory: Please don't take this the wrong way, but I find it very odd that you say you take a lot of precautions in your security, and you you don't even have an antivirus? You are dismissing this, but I think you should reconsider and install a permanently active antivirus, and completely scan your system... now. It doesn't matter that you scanned your system 2 weeks ago: it only takes a nanosecond to become infected.
I'm not going to go into the issue of security either way. I ran AVG just to get it off the table, and Malware Bytes; nothing. A virus wouldn't explain the specific problems I'm having.
Hickory: Please don't take this the wrong way, but I find it very odd that you say you take a lot of precautions in your security, and you you don't even have an antivirus? You are dismissing this, but I think you should reconsider and install a permanently active antivirus, and completely scan your system... now. It doesn't matter that you scanned your system 2 weeks ago: it only takes a nanosecond to become infected.
Congrolios: I'm not going to go into the issue of security either way. I ran AVG just to get it off the table, and Malware Bytes; nothing. A virus wouldn't explain the specific problems I'm having.
Yes it could, so I can't help you.
Hey guys,

My only question is, does installing these mods effect your ability to play the multiplayer? (I would expect all players to have the same mods installed minimum, just hoping these essential mods work under multiplayer conditions)

Thanks.
Post edited June 21, 2013 by Krx003
Krx003: Hey guys,

My only question is, does installing these mods effect your ability to play the multiplayer? (I would expect all players to have the same mods installed minimum, just hoping these essential mods work under multiplayer conditions)

Thanks.
You need the same mods, with the same options & installed in the same order.
easiest to just set up one & then copy the whole game directory to the others.
How big is the BGT file? I'm downloading it, but it doesn't show how big the file is.
IShoot4lolz: How big is the BGT file? I'm downloading it, but it doesn't show how big the file is.
Around 16 megabytes for BGT 1.17.
Congrolios: Anyone at all have an idea of what I could possibly do about this?
I had the same issues as you - installed both BG and BG2, applied the BG2 fixpack, BGT-WeiDU, and the widescreen mod, deleted BG, loaded BG2 and only got the blank screen.

This strongly suggested a video issue and given the concerns about nVidia drivers, I uninstalled both games, started over, and did one thing differently: I didn't apply the widescreen mod.

The result: it may not be as pretty (or wide?) but it works!

BTW, I do have active antivirus protection...
Congrolios: Anyone at all have an idea of what I could possibly do about this?
Jimmer1: I had the same issues as you - installed both BG and BG2, applied the BG2 fixpack, BGT-WeiDU, and the widescreen mod, deleted BG, loaded BG2 and only got the blank screen.

This strongly suggested a video issue and given the concerns about nVidia drivers, I uninstalled both games, started over, and did one thing differently: I didn't apply the widescreen mod.

The result: it may not be as pretty (or wide?) but it works!

BTW, I do have active antivirus protection...
My issue was actually my sound card, and then my USB audio interface. Older hardware with drivers that are extremely unstable for Win 7 64. I only found out it was the cause of my problems because the audio would drop out at times and then when I would try to save/load/rest the game would "freeze" like it did when I thought it wasn't starting up. Changing the sample rate of my audio playback brings audio back and doing that also got the game to continue running. Found a firmware update for my USB interface and haven't had any more problems with it since.

Really specific and likely not helpful to anyone but myself, but just in case, this was being caused by an E-MU 1616 PCI card and an E-MU 0202 USB interface.
Hi i have never played BG series so i bought the definitive dungeons and dragons set during the summer sale,
isn't it possible to play the vanilla game directly after the gog installation ?