It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

bloyall: Am about to upgrade my PC from XP to Win 7 (yea, I know). So, am wondering, will I just be able to move my modded BG2 setup and play? Or will I have to reinstall?
Are you talking about a new PC, or simply upgrading your copy of Windows?
bloyall: Am about to upgrade my PC from XP to Win 7 (yea, I know). So, am wondering, will I just be able to move my modded BG2 setup and play? Or will I have to reinstall?
GoJays2025: Are you talking about a new PC, or simply upgrading your copy of Windows?
It will basically be a new PC. Clean install to new disk. Old XP disk will still be in machine until all data is migrated off then it will get wiped also.
bloyall: It will basically be a new PC. Clean install to new disk. Old XP disk will still be in machine until all data is migrated off then it will get wiped also.
Ah, I see. I basically had to do the same thing - copied my BGT installation from my netbook (XP) to my new desktop (7) so I can play it on either one. It was very tricky to get it working because many registry entries had to be moved as well, some of which are pretty well hidden. So it CAN be done, and I was going to walk you through it - until I realized my installation came off of the CD version, so unfortunately the registry may be different.

Here's what I suggest - if you're familiar with the registry editor, search for these terms - 'baldur', 'bioware', and 'bgmain', then export any important-looking keys and import them to your Windows 7 setup. Copy over the game from the one hard drive over to the other, carefully making sure the paths match (if it's in c:\games\bg2\ on your XP machine, it MUST be c:\games\bg2\ in your W7 machine).

If you have no idea what I just said there, it's probably best you reinstall the whole thing. As for the tweaks, I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it, but what I've always done is just run the tweak pack setup file again from your BG2 directory (setup-bg2_tweaks.exe), select Yes to see all the components, then when it asks you if you'd like to install each individual component, say no, but if it asks you to RE-install a component, still say no, but then jot down the name of that component somewhere - it means you had opted to install it earlier.

Be sure to backup your saved games directory too.

Hope that helped!
Post edited December 02, 2010 by GoJays2025
bloyall: It will basically be a new PC. Clean install to new disk. Old XP disk will still be in machine until all data is migrated off then it will get wiped also.
GoJays2025: If you have no idea what I just said there, it's probably best you reinstall the whole thing. As for the tweaks, I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it, but what I've always done is just run the tweak pack setup file again from your BG2 directory (setup-bg2_tweaks.exe), select Yes to see all the components, then when it asks you if you'd like to install each individual component, say no, but if it asks you to RE-install a component, still say no, but then jot down the name of that component somewhere - it means you had opted to install it earlier.
Did some poking around this am. The BGII dir has several files that give lists of what got installed by the various mods (WeiDU.log & *.DEBUG). Am pretty sure I can recreate the environment from these. So, I'm just going to do a clean install of BG & the mods as logged and see what happens.

Will post a follow up.

Thanks again. And also, thanks for your original write up. Not only has it helped me to revisit a series I truly enjoyed, but it has also gotten my two sons, who were toddlers when BG came out, fired up and playing it as well.

ben
bloyall: Thanks again. And also, thanks for your original write up. Not only has it helped me to revisit a series I truly enjoyed, but it has also gotten my two sons, who were toddlers when BG came out, fired up and playing it as well.

ben
Glad it helped! Hope it works, and have fun! Might I also add that you're an awesome father! :D
The Big World Setup tells me that i dont have a full install and that files are missing, namely CD5\Movies\25movies.bif, but i found this in the Data Folder... i know a way around this.
GoJays2025: If you have no idea what I just said there, it's probably best you reinstall the whole thing. As for the tweaks, I'm not sure if there's an easier way to do it, but what I've always done is just run the tweak pack setup file again from your BG2 directory (setup-bg2_tweaks.exe), select Yes to see all the components, then when it asks you if you'd like to install each individual component, say no, but if it asks you to RE-install a component, still say no, but then jot down the name of that component somewhere - it means you had opted to install it earlier.
bloyall: Did some poking around this am. The BGII dir has several files that give lists of what got installed by the various mods (WeiDU.log & *.DEBUG). Am pretty sure I can recreate the environment from these. So, I'm just going to do a clean install of BG & the mods as logged and see what happens.

Will post a follow up.

Thanks again. And also, thanks for your original write up. Not only has it helped me to revisit a series I truly enjoyed, but it has also gotten my two sons, who were toddlers when BG came out, fired up and playing it as well.

ben
I wish that my dad had been like you when I was growing up.
kingcrowley6969: The Big World Setup tells me that i dont have a full install and that files are missing, namely CD5\Movies\25movies.bif, but i found this in the Data Folder... i know a way around this.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Big World mod, unfortunately :(
Just a quick follow up to my BG2 Win XP -> Win 7 migration questions...

Went fairly smoothly. Installed Win 7 64bit, reinstalled BG2 and all mods following BG2 procedure on pg 1 on this topic. When installing the tweakpack, I had a copy of WeiDU.log from my XP install open. It is in the BG2 dir. If the option is not listed, it was not originally installed. That lists every option you chose when installing. made duplicating the BG 'world' simple between 2 installs.

Biggest 'gotcha' was remembering that not only did I need to install 'Alchemy', I needed to enable BG2 in it to get EAX sound back. Once I did this, game play got very smooth.

Also, didn't let GOG installer put the game under 'Program Files' as I have seen some posts stating issues with that.

Thanks for all the help!

ben
Post edited December 08, 2010 by bloyall
So does anyone have a recommended list of mods. the first post is great, but it is trying to get the best almost vanilla expierence.

How about the BWP mods. Does anyone have a good list?
The BG2 fixpack download links on the website have been down for AGES!
Would really love to start playing BG2 if only i can download the fixpack :(

Does anyone know of another link? All three on the g3 website aren't working...

Thanks in advance ppl!
EfanOne: The BG2 fixpack download links on the website have been down for AGES!

Thanks in advance ppl!
I just rried the third link (direct d/l from Gibberlings 3) and it worked :

http://www.gibberlings3.net/downloads/bg2_fixpack-v9.exe
Post edited December 12, 2010 by Kezardin
EfanOne: The BG2 fixpack download links on the website have been down for AGES!

Thanks in advance ppl!
Kezardin: I just rried the third link (direct d/l from Gibberlings 3) and it worked :

http://www.gibberlings3.net/downloads/bg2_fixpack-v9.exe
tried again but still can't download...must be a firewall problem or something (using my university internet) :s

thanks for the quick reply tho!
EfanOne: tried again but still can't download...must be a firewall problem or something (using my university internet) :s

Try this link then: http://hotfile.com/dl/89052907/4e40300/bg2_fixpack-v9.exe.html
EfanOne: tried again but still can't download...must be a firewall problem or something (using my university internet) :s

GoJays2025: Try this link then: http://hotfile.com/dl/89052907/4e40300/bg2_fixpack-v9.exe.html
brilliant! worked like a charm :)

thanks mate! i shall name my character after you! uhmm....maybe for the 2nd playthrough :p