It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Having had a bad experience with the steam version of half-life, I wonder how faithful to what you'd see in 2000 this version is, and in any case what the differences are exactly? And if it's not very faithful, maybe there is a fanmade port that is better?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
OK what I've been able to gather so far is that it has:
- different/censored fmv video files
- different menu music and background (why?)
- added save game feature (making it easier)
- changed item layouts
- various rendering issues
oh and of course on modern windows is lacks EAX. AVP is well known as the poster child of EAX that really used it to enhance the game. So this is a major omission.

and I'm guessing these issues aren't the only ones. so highly disappointing that you can't get an authentic game these days. why do devs not care about preserving history? it's george lucas all over again. might as well emulate it in that case.
Post edited March 26, 2018 by BmB
AvP Classic is a VERY faithful port.... of AvP Gold.

Gold had all the expansion stuff, different menu, different music, and the save system. The biggest issue with this port is a graphical issue with the Alien vision pheromone aura things
BmB: OK what I've been able to gather so far is that it has:
- changed item layouts
oh and of course on modern windows is lacks EAX. AVP is well known as the poster child of EAX that really used it to enhance the game. So this is a major omission.

and I'm guessing these issues aren't the only ones. so highly disappointing that you can't get an authentic game these days. why do devs not care about preserving history? it's george lucas all over again. might as well emulate it in that case.
The lack of EAX support on Windows 10 is not GOG’s fault. EAX (by Creative Labs) hasn’t been supported by Windows since Windows 7/Vista. Besides, EAX was a Creative Labs only thing.

But with a few tricks you can add EAX support to your system again and run it on any soundcard.

Take a look here How to setup EAX on any sound card.

Enjoy your EAX games in all their former acoustical glory!
Post edited June 21, 2018 by 4-vektor
This has EAX enabled for Older games simple as dropping the Dsound.dll it hooks and enable all the EAX fun
indirectsound.com
Post edited October 31, 2018 by wayke
BmB: OK what I've been able to gather so far is that it has:
- changed item layouts

These videos arent censored, just changed, and this was done with the AVP Gold release, Not GOG, AVP Classic 2000 is derived from that version.
BmB: Having had a bad experience with the steam version of half-life, I wonder how faithful to what you'd see in 2000 this version is, and in any case what the differences are exactly? And if it's not very faithful, maybe there is a fanmade port that is better?
It's not the devs that don't care, it's the publishers