It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I saw 1.01 patch for American Nightmare available on steam. As for the gog version, will be a patch for this? thx.
This question / problem has been solved by Paczykimage
Here's a statement from Remedy:

"That is a very good question since we asked the same question from the gog.com people a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately gog.com doesn't have any built in patching methods (yet!), so I guess we at Remedy need to come up with something creative.

I'll talk with AJ and Markus and see what we can do. At worst we'll just put up a zip file with the game exe and dlls on our web site and post the download link here. That's patching from the 90's but it would work.

But don't worry - we will take care of our gog.com customers! Resolving this might take a few days though.

SamiV. "

Source: http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?t=8777
Post edited May 26, 2012 by sbock
Thanks for the information, I was already wondering the same thing. And I still have the same question concerning the first Alan Wake game.

That's one of the few drawbacks with GOG, that you seldomly know what game version you have/if it's the latest and if not, how to change that. Come to think of it, even before they had new games here it was sometimes the case, that they replaced installers without telling. It would be great if the good folks over at GOG could find a more transparent way to handle this whole update scenario.

btw: Downloading patches normally (without a launcher or some other additional software) is no letdown for me at all, I only care that I can patch my software. I'm not that lazy yet, that I'm exhausted by clicking a link. :P
It would be nice if GOG added some extra information to the download pages; I notice that they have started adding version numbers to the installers, e.g. "setup_alan_wake_1.0.0.12.exe" - what we need now are some notes on the download pages indicating the current game patch / installer version / last updated etc.

And separate patch files so we don't always need to re-download entire games, even if it's just a .zip with the updated files :P
When the witcher 2 got patches 2 did it in 2 ways..

1) Supplied a patch exe in the bonus materiels
2) they also supplied an auto updater.. in the bonus materiels.

I see Alan wake has a new bonus.. a language update that is a gog patch v. 1.2

its not much I know.
Post edited May 26, 2012 by FrEaKz86
adamhm: It would be nice if GOG added some extra information to the download pages
Some games already have this: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice

Unfortunately GOG has been inconsistent with providing this information, particularly with recent releases.
adamhm: I notice that they have started adding version numbers to the installers, e.g. "setup_alan_wake_1.0.0.12.exe"
Unfortunately that is an internal build number that is specific to GOG and does not tell you what version of the game is provided by the installer.

Instead, this information could be available if GOG chooses to include it in the Inno Setup Script (*.iss file) for the game installer. You can view this information by right-clicking on the installer file and choosing Properties and then the Version tab.

On the Version tab you'll find these fields which are related to what I'm discussing:

* File version (listed twice)
* Product Version

* File version is for the installer itself, and is set within the Inno Setup Script (*.iss file) as the VersionInfoVersion variable.

* Product Version is the version of the game that will be installed, and is controlled by the VersionInfoProductVersion variable in the ISS file.

Both of these values could be read by their serve-side scripts to display the latest available installer build version and game version available, however they choose to do so.
adamhm: what we need now are some notes on the download pages indicating the current game patch / installer version / last updated etc.
That would be very handy, and thankfully someone has already created a wishlist entry for that. There are multiple ways to implement it, and parsing the value from each game's ISS file or from the installers themselves would be one approach to implementing that feature.
adamhm: And separate patch files so we don't always need to re-download entire games, even if it's just a .zip with the updated files :P
That could work, but they can also create a patch installer that will look-up where the existing game is installed and update it with the patch installer content. This is another (easy) solution supported by Inno Setup (the software that GOG uses for their installers) to patch existing installations. To do this, make sure to use the same GUID (globally unique identifier) for the patch installer that the original game installer that GOG releases has and configure two additional values in the patch installer ISS file:

CreateUninstallRegKey=no and UpdateUninstallLogAppName=no

Another nice effect of doing that is the existing installation log will be adjusted to also remove the new files added by the patch when you uninstall the game.

InnoSetup is awesome to work with when creating installers and patch packages, and I hope GOG starts using that ability when handling developer supplied patches for their new releases.

Edit:

Additional info regarding this feature:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?updateinstall
Post edited May 26, 2012 by deoren
deoren: Some games already have this: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacrifice

Unfortunately GOG has been inconsistent with providing this information, particularly with recent releases.
I meant on the download section under "My games", when you select a game. Information such as version number, last update etc. could be added underneath "Purchased on ...".
Unfortunately those are build numbers, which should really be placed on the file itself instead of the name. IMO, if anything is in the name it should be the version of the game provided by the installer. It's trivial to do this with the InnoSetup installer files (*.iss) used to make the installers.
I already knew they aren't the game's version number; I could have worded that a bit better. I was just saying that they have at least added a way to quickly identify newer/older versions of the installer :P Putting the actual game version in the filename would be a good idea though.
adamhm: I already knew they aren't the game's version number; I could have worded that a bit better. I was just saying that they have at least added a way to quickly identify newer/older versions of the installer :P Putting the actual game version in the filename would be a good idea though.
I updated my last post once I had a chance to read over it and think it through a bit more, and right before I saw your reply. Perhaps a combination of game and build number in the file name would be useful.

It's very common in the UNIX and GNU/Linux world to label packages that way, although I've seen a few cases where I began to wonder if it was getting to be overly verbose.

Some of my other comments that probably seemed targeted at you I actually meant to make in a more general sense, as I plan to contact GOG via Twitter and their normal support channels and provide a link to this thread.
deoren: I plan to contact GOG via Twitter and their normal support channels and provide a link to this thread.
Good idea, I think it's weird anyway, that GOG does so well concerning several aspects, while it lacks something like this, what seems trivial in comparison.
deoren: I plan to contact GOG via Twitter and their normal support channels and provide a link to this thread.
Santiago: Good idea, I think it's weird anyway, that GOG does so well concerning several aspects, while it lacks something like this, what seems trivial in comparison.
That may just be an issue of focusing on what matters. Until recently patching was probably an issue that could be ignored without to much backlash, but now that they are offering new/newer releases that are getting patched its quickly become a real issue that is clearly bothering a lot of people.
Hello everyone,

The 1.01 patch is ready. You can download it from the game's extras section.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay.

Cheers!
Thank you very much GoG, will load the patch this evening.
Thanks! Working great!
ah...Thanks gog!